I’m going to do a review soon of the Aurifloss thread I am using to hand quilt this little baby quilt, but thought it might deserve a little write up of its own. Plus I am hoping to finish it by the end of January as part of the Lovely Year of Finishes.
ETA: I finished the quilt! Here are the finished pics.
For the life of my I can’t remember the name of this fabric, but I love it so much! At some point I’ll track down the selvage and update accordingly, but since woodlands fabric is such a huuuuge trend right now, google can’t help me find the fabric line’s name.
I sewed this quilt together really quickly when I decided I needed a hand sewing project last month. The patchwork is totally random and the other side is a combo of scraps and some chambray cotton that found it’s way into my house after a sale.
I am embroidering/quilting it with designs based on the fabric itself. Then I am going to finish all the blocks with chunky primitive stitching outlines. To “baste” the quilt, I did some machine quilting to hold it all in place while I add the hand finished touches.
I didn’t put any batting in it, since I am just planning to use it as a car-seat cover and other lightweight baby uses where batting won’t be needed. The benefit of this for hand quilting is that it fits into a smaller embroidery hoop, which is a lot easier to manage for hand quilting.
It also allows me to do a stem stitch on one side; this shows up as chunky primitive stitching on the other side. I love the stem stitch for embroidery that is going to show up on both sides of the finished products!
And here it is on the back:
I could make those back stitches more regular through a slightly different stitch method (stab stitching!) but I like the more primitive look.