I’ve been enjoying the Divided Basket Pattern by Noodlehead. This is my third one! I am planning to mod the handles with snaps so I can hang the basket from the side of the changing table for extra storage space. We’ll see how that goes! I got snap pliers and STAR SHAPED SNAPS for my Christmas present, so any excuse to use those.
I wanted to make it 2 inches longer, but then my brain hurt thinking about it. I figured I could just make the entire basket using the pattern faster than figuring out the math of making the basket longer.
Suffice to say, since I’ve made several of these, I really like this pattern and the handiness and sturdiness of the baskets. Though I do wish they came in a few different sizes!
It’s Wednesday, so I’m linking up to Work in Progress Wednesday, which I almost never remember.
This little quilt is made from the scraps of this very big quilt. It doesn’t really have much of a purpose, but it is so sweet and soft looking I’m sure it will find a nice use in the house.
I had all the circles in a pile. I just glued them down with a glue stick and then began quilting. I wanted it to have the frayed edges. This is how much it has frayed after one wash.
I thought about match stick quilting and also about doing a grid. But I think it has enough stitching in it for now. For the first time in many years, I didn’t do a nice double fold binding, but instead just folded over the backing and sewed it down. I didn’t square it either. If I decide someday it needs a more polished finish, I’ll do it then.
Over the years I have received 3 pretty little spools of Aurifloss 6 Strand Cotton Embroidery floss for free, through various quilting events. I finally got around to trying them out and decided they deserved a quick review!
I’m going to do a review soon of the Aurifloss thread I am using to hand quilt this little baby quilt, but thought it might deserve a little write up of its own. Plus I am hoping to finish it by the end of January as part of the Lovely Year of Finishes.
For the life of my I can’t remember the name of this fabric, but I love it so much! At some point I’ll track down the selvage and update accordingly, but since woodlands fabric is such a huuuuge trend right now, google can’t help me find the fabric line’s name.
I sewed this quilt together really quickly when I decided I needed a hand sewing project last month. The patchwork is totally random and the other side is a combo of scraps and some chambray cotton that found it’s way into my house after a sale.
This is probably one of my longest ever works in progress. I actually finished it in early December, but just now got around to taking pictures of it, and then deciding to actually blog about it.
It was part of my goal to finish by the end of 2014 as part of the Finish Along and I’m so glad to have it off the WIP shelf.
One reason it took so long is I wanted to quilt it with feathers, and I didn’t know how to do feathers! I have gotten better at free motion quilting since I pieced this top in 2012 – and better at quilting in general (I couldn’t believe some of the mistakes I left in this, I must have been in a very bad mood when finishing the top!), but I was actually kind of out of practice when I finally basted this. It was very ripply, but most of the puckers from the sloppy piecing quilted out.
Yay! I had wanted to finish this
hateful thing glorious beast by the end of the year. In part to reach my Finish Along goal, but more because I was worried I would NEVER finish it, and frankly I was sick of having it hang in my “unfinished quilts” pile. I did NOT want to press it again, and I had already pressed it. So it had to get done! I have something of a tutorial here, if anyone is interested in my modified lone star math I had to come up with.
Ok, get ready for a million pictures, because I am just in love with the front and back of this thing! Plus a lot of boring process thoughts, because it was an interesting learning experience for me!
At the #OHCraft Sewing Retreat in October, I won a copy of a Sew Sweetness pattern and opted for the Aragon bag so I could make a diaper bag for my tiny little roommate. I figured I would make it the following weekend, but I just laid around and slept instead. Silly pregnancy!
However, I am finally made it! Lucky because it is on my list of items to finish this quarter for the Finish Along! Glad to have another accomplishment to cross off the list!
This quilt is one of my finish along quilt goals (see them all in my original post) It feels great to be finishing quilts after taking a lot of time off from sewing over the summer, as well as time spent on giant projects that take months and months. Speaking of, quilting the giant monsters are next on my list. Yikes!
In the meantime, I love to applique baby names onto quilts! I had a quilt with a D (for Dana) when I was little and just loved it!
For more info on my letter applique process, you can check out my monogram tutorial. For these two quilts, I used a raw edge applique and free-motion quilted down the edges. I used three trips around each letter for a sketched look, and a more secure finish.
My favorite baby font for quilt is Winnie the Hoop, which I discovered on How About Orange, you can download it for free here.
This pretty quilt was one of my finish along goals for October – done! Though it was a custom order, I was not on a tight timeline but I am glad to have it done and shipped. I love the fabrics in this one!
I’m so happy to have this quilt done! I love him. It is inspired by the Charley Harper animal mosaic in Cincinnati. A tutorial for the quilt and images of the mural are here. My neighborhood is full of cardinals that like to sing all their crazy amazing songs very early in the morning and then all day. I’m sure you’ve heard them, even if you don’t know it! Here is a great video about cardinal songs.
It finished just under 6 feet square (cat for scale, and also because he wouldn’t get off the quilt).